01 March 2010

Culture Blog

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/02/world/americas/02chile.html?ref=world



On Saturday, February 27th, 2010, Chile was hit by an earthquake with an 8.8 magnitude. The current death toll is at 711 and an estimated two million have been displaced. The epicenter of the earthquake was located closely to a major city, Concepcion. On Monday, rescue worker had trouble reaching many areas of Chile because of crumbled roads, fallen bridges and downed telephone lines. Chile has asked for help from the United Nations. This earthquake has been declared one of the most powerful in recorded history. Secretary of State Hilary Clinton is offering twenty satellite phones to aid communication. Chile has assessed the damage and is beginning to make progress on making a field hospital and in communication.

4 comments:

  1. I wrote about the same thing. It's so sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote about this too. I agree, i feel so bad, but at least they are making progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this was such a bad disaster!I wrote about it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Chile is able to support themselves without Americas help yet. It shows how strong the country is.

    ReplyDelete